Monday, May 26, 2008

That's what Daddy's do...

I don't usually post twice, but I felt this was special.

Today we went out to the lake for Harrison's first boat ride with Big Dan. All went well, and he had a great time. (I'll post pictures later this week.) When we got back Nick was pushing Harris in the swing on the deck like a good big brother. The next thing I knew, Nick had fallen between the side of the boat and the deck. I rushed to get Nick (who didn't have a life jacket on by this point and can't swim). Chris was already ahead of me. He was on his stomach leaning over the edge grabbing Nick. He pulled him out. Nick was screaming he was so scared. He wasn't the only one. It was my worst nightmare come true. Nick could have drown in those agonizing seconds. I can't imagine what I would have done. Luckily, everything turned out okay. After we'd calmed Nick down I told him to thank his daddy for saving his life. And this is what I'll never forget: Chris said, "Buddy, you don't have to thank me, I'm your daddy. It's my job to keep you safe because that's what daddys do." My heart melted. Not all children are this lucky. My boys and I are very fortunate to have someone like that in our lives. As I kissed both of my children before bed I thanked God for what daddys do.

No comments: